Sugar free foods and drinks are always the best choice to consume.
The less sugars you eat generally, the less tooth decay you may experience. Tooth decay is a lifestyle related issue. Tooth decay commences when the sugary foods consume mix together with the plaque bacteria present on your teeth. The more sugar consumed the more sugar the more plaque bacteria is mixed with sugar to form plaque. This plaque turns to tartar if no brushing is done.
To maintain healthy teeth, there are a number of important things you need to do.
- Drink plenty of water after each meal to wash away food particles that can get stuck between teeth,
- Consume less sugary drinks, like soft drink. Also be aware that certain fruit juice brands are high in sugar. So it’s important to check the sugar component in the ingredients tab of the product.
- Ensure foods that are high in fibre and low in sugar are consumed such as fruit and vegetables, soups, cheeses, natural yogurts,
- Brush your teeth twice a day
- Smart food choices eaten daily will assist to maintain healthy teeth. Follow the Australian Dietary Guidelines to stay balanced and healthy.
Your teeth and gums will thank you for it.